Please Do Not Copy Photos

This blog will often contain photos that are part of my photo business, or personal photos taken by me. Please do not copy. That is really not a nice thing to do. If you want to use a photo, please contact me at pamelarowell@yahoo.com for permission. thanks!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Bedroom makeover part 1

Dean and I have not had a headboard for our bed since at least 1983. After we got rid of the bed that had real springs and ticking mattress, we didn't have a headboard. Anyway, we have debated options for years and years. We wanted something different - out of the ordinary. We talked about fireplace mantles. We considered doors. We looked at covering something with fabric. Dean designed a great one that was supposed to be part of the remodel, but since we moved before the remodel was finished. Well, a lot was left undone on the personalizing. We have come up with lots of great ideas, we just never did anything.

We were determined to do something when we go here. We had to - the bedroom is off the living room. It is sort of visible. Yes, that means I have to make my bed everyday. Sort of cut down on napping.  Below is what you did see when you walk in -tall walls and lots and lots of that color - everything in the house is that color including the ceiling.


We started looking at ideas again. Not long after we moved to the house in Longview, we took the screen doors off. The one in the back had a duck on it. We didn't hang on to that one. The one in the front had great swirls. I had thought of painting it to put on the front porch. When we moved, I hauled it with us to El Paso. Again, I thought about painting to mount outside. Never did.

One day, after we got here, Dean suggested making a frame for it and using it for a headboard. Great idea. Until we dug it out of the garage and took it to the bedroom. No need for a frame - it was perfect like it was! Great news as sometimes Dean turns simple projects into big deals. Yeah, he did it with this without a a frame. I can't imagine what it would be like if had to build a frame. The frame had separated, and of course that would never work. So, we had to start on a 3 day journey to repair it.

On the left, is the broken part of the piece. On the right is Dean's solution. Clamps, bungies, and a yard stick. After day 3 of JB Weld not working, I suggested tie wraps. Yep. They worked great!

Also in that room was a little wicker and table. It was a freebie. And an awful color. I wanted a certain color, and I couldn't find it in spray paint. We did it the hard way and brushed it on.


The wicker was falling apart, so we just clipped it out. We left it in the rocker, but the table just had to be cleaned up.

I had purchased some great pillow covers in India. I had not bought pillows to go in them, because they are so expensive. I decided to go to Ikea. They were even 6.99 there. They did have some .99 pillows. They were standard size, but not very fluffy. I just stuffed them in the covers - it worked great! It was time for Dean and I to have new pillows, so we bought 2 pillows. I went through all of the extra pillow cases and found a couple that went with the decorative pillows.

I am not finished in there. I still want to get a rug for the wide open space in the floor. I also want to do some work on the dresser and bedside table. I purchased it for 65.00 at a thrift store in El Paso. A great find, but it needs a little cosmetic help. I will be working on that in a week or two.

For now, it is looking so much better.

As I get more done in here. More to come . . .

And my pic of the day for the 3rd is below

No comments:

Post a Comment