Please Do Not Copy Photos

This blog will often contain photos that are part of my photo business, or personal photos taken by me. Please do not copy. That is really not a nice thing to do. If you want to use a photo, please contact me at pamelarowell@yahoo.com for permission. thanks!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

We have arrived! And oh the adventures along the way!

Yep, tonight I write my first blog post from Round Rock. I think I need a new blog title- I am not located smack dab in the middle of Texas. I will have to think on it.

To get to tonight I must do some back tracking  . . .

Last weekend was spent prepping to move - going through things, sorting, trashing, all those fun things.

Monday - knowing this was my last week in town, we had to do several things for the wedding. This included taking the dress to the alterations guy to have the bustle taken care of. Next week, it will go to the cleaners. Monday also brought a new family member in the shape of a Delilah. Joy Anna and Jeremy adopted her. It made for an interesting week, as she wanted to be the pack leader. Our girls were not so willing to give up that most coveted position.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were just more of the same - packing, sorting and refereeing the dogs. Except on Thursday when the dogs went to the groomer. That night, we also went to the wedding venue. It did not turn out like we expected. She has turned into not a nice person unfortunately. I wish I had checked the reviews before we went out there. I also wish I had taken better notes and had her sign the notes as well. Oh well, we live and learn. We will also write a review on every possible review site after the wedding!

Friday I spent the day setting up the garage sale. It was so very hot, but doing it in spurts helped. We had so much stuff! Wow! It took most of the day to haul it outside and set it up. By midnight when I crashed, I was worn out.

Saturday was the official garage sale - I had posted it would start at 6. By 5, the yard was full! First customers of the day - before the official opening and they want me to cut the price by 50%. I don't think so! Don't wake me up at 5 am and expect a discount! By 10, the city had removed our signs for lack of permit, so we decided to wrap it up. Everything that was over 10.00 was gone except for 2 things. It was time to clear out and clean up. Jeremy and I loaded down his truck and my van and headed to the Assistance League to donate for the thrift store. I only thought I was tired the night before! Saturday night, I was asleep by 9. Probably not the best plan when I had movers arriving the next morning - and no idea when they would get there. I confess to whining that night. I called Dean and told him I was too tired to go on. I just wanted to give up. I had had all of the that I could handle. 

Sunday, I was up before the chickens. Way before. By 3:30 I was sitting at Whataburger ordering a burger and a diet coke. I was hoping to tricking my body into thinking it was evening and I would be motivated to get busy to finish by the time the packers got there.

By 9, packing chaos was in full swing. A driver from Dallas and 2 local packers and me. At 6, the house was packed. After they left, we headed out to the dog park. Dinner was fast food.

Bedtime was a welcome end to the day.

Monday. Goodness. Was that just yesterday? It started early. The driver had said 7:30. I think he showed up an hour early. The helpers were not far behind. By 7:30, they had already made a dent in the landing. I sat in my old rocker and worked on a graduation announcement. A little after 11, I went for tacos. After that, it was only a short time until the locals were ready to go.The driver pulled out around 2pm. Jeremy took the van to have the oil changed. We had been loading it through the day, so by 3pm, I was ready to pull out. I wasn't sure how far I would make it. I had looked online and considered Ozona. That would be 6 hours. I was thinking we could make it that far.

Joy Anna had planned to keep Pouncy. That didn't work after they got Delilah. The two of them didn't mix at all. So, we had to bring her with us. We have a soft sided kennel we have used for her before. When we moved from Longview, she and her kennel rode with Dean. He was able to unzip the kennel and let her wander. I wasn't sure I was up to that, but I put her kennel up front in the passenger seat for easy access. We had put the van seats on the moving truck. The dogs had about half the van to chill in. This was going to be a breeze - right? Before you agree to that I guess you should have some background info on the dogs. Razzle has always gotten car sick. Not every time, but enough for us to be wary. She even got sick going to Shannon's and that is only about 5 blocks away. Dazzle doesn't get sick, but she gets nervous and spazzes out. She whines and wants to be held. When we moved to El Paso, she rode nearly 90% of the way in Joy Anna's lap!  This has been much better since we got the van. They like to ride. They get excited and jump in without having to be picked up and forced into the back seat. They like to ride now, plenty of room . . .

And so, now you can answer . . .a breeze, right?




Wrong!

First off, saying good bye to my girl was not easy. Yes, I was ready to see Dean, but this was the first time we had really moved away. This is not like school. In a few weeks, she'll be married. This is the big move. When I go back for the time before the wedding, it will be just for a LONG visit. We said our goodbyes and tried not to cry and I pulled out - only to get a call when I was in the next block that I had forgotten a bag. Turn around, go back, say good byes again, get back on the road. I stopped for gas and stopped for a tea at Schlotsky's and headed east.

XM playing, dogs relaxing, Pouncy snoozing and we head down the highway. The odometer showed 50 when the craziness began. Dazzy started whining and proceeded to make her way over the drop down table between the two front seats and into my lap. I am pushing her back as hard as I can while driving 80 down the interstate. I didn't know a 35 pound dog could exert such force. Before I could find a place to pull over, she had seated herself firmly in my lap. I finally got her back in the back and moved things around in order to try and keep her there and off we went again.

Because the distances between gas stations is so far on I10, we usually make a point to stop and top it off in Van Horn. I really like the first station, but it is 10 cents per gallon higher. In effort to save money, I went on to the 2nd. This seemed like a good plan. No grass. No dirt. Only rocks and cement. Not a good plan, after all. Next stop the rest area. I only brought short leashes. They didn't want to be on them - they saw grass and I guess they thought it was the dog park I guess. They wanted off the leases and wanted to run! They were too busy playing to even think about taking care of business.

We headed on toward Round Rock. I debated driving on, but I decided to go ahead and stop. Why in the world I didn't let the 'drive on' part of the debate win, I have no idea.

9:58 - cat starts meowing - not an uncommon feat for most cats. Pouncy seldom meows, so I know I am in trouble. 

10:00 pm. Pull into the only hotel that has an opening and is pet friendly. $10.00 per pet? How much damage did they expect them to do?

10:05 Talk her into only charging me $20 instead of $30.

10:10 Open the door to let the dogs into the room.  Close the door except for the chain sticking out.

10:12 Open van door, pick up cat carrier
10:12 and a half - cat falls out of carrier and dashes under the large white pick up truck just as both dogs come charging out of the hotel door.
10:12 and three quarters - I am on my knees beside said large white pick up truck with two bouncing dogs trying to lick my face.

10:13 - dogs back into room with door securely latched while I am trying find the cat food in the van while keeping a watch on the truck and praying no one comes driving fast through the parking lot.

10:14 Find the food, break my nail while trying to open the top.
10:14 and a half   Dogs start barking
10:14 and three quarters - again I am on my knees beside said pickup truck trying to coax one very irate cat out from under it. On her best day, Pouncy is still  not a very nice cat. I was wishing for a pair of welding gloves at that moment. If I have to pull her out, there could be major damage to my hand - a lot worse that a broken nail.

10:15 waiting patiently

10:16 She is almost within grabbing distance
10:16 and a half. I realize if I get her out, she is only going to claw all of me by the time I can get to the door and get it open. As bad as I hate putting her back in the carrier, it is my only option.
10:16 and three quarters the carrier is back beside me.

10:17 waiting and trying to be patient while the dogs are barking

10:18 Grab her, pray the breakaway collar doesn't break away when I grab, stuff her into the carrier and get into the room. Success and the longest 20 minutes of my day!

By this time, I am starving. The only place open is Sonic. I have no choice but to go there. I can't leave the zoo in the room while I am gone. I make Pouncy a litter box and put out food in water. She has settle dead center under the king sized bed. I take the girls with me and find some grass for them to take care of business. The grass is wet. They refuse to get on it. Way, way too long in the desert!

After a quick trip to sonic, it is back to try in the grass again. Nope. Not happening.

Pouncy still hadn't moved by this time. I am envisioning having to leave her in room 264. They'll never be able to rent it again. Will I have to pay 71.00 a night for the rest of her life? Plus an additional 10.00 per night pet fee? I have never seen so many stray cats in one small area - I must have passed thirty between the hotel and Sonic. Is there something here that calls to them - makes them want to stay in Sonora?

I tried to log into the hotel's internet. No luck. Not enough phone service to access the internet that way either. Poor reception to talk. Welcome to the black hole of Sonora where the only almost reliable form of communication is text!

 Now it is most definitely bed time! Only there is no kennel for the dogs. It was under everything else in the van. I am going to break a major rule and let them sleep with me. It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. When the thunder and lightning started at 4:45 they were not happy campers. I am sure the people on either side of us were not happy either. I just hope they wanted to wake up at 4:45.

There was no going back to sleep for me. I tried. Up and at 'em.  This time, when we tried the grass it was even worse. They love to be sprayed with the water hose. The rain will do just fine. This time they were too busy playing in the rain to attempt any business.

I put everything back into the van except the cat and the car carrier and a tiny bit of food. Again it is coax and pray the collar holds when I grab her. I really don't want to have to leave her in the room. Finally I got her. The collar snapped lose, but I managed to stuff her in the carrier just in time. Thankfully, she was not destined to live forever in Sonora!


The drive to Round Rock was long! I only stopped for one quick time. I had filled up before I left Sonora. Dean decided to meet us at the house. He stopped for a litter box. We arrived about one minute before he did. I had the girls out. Again, the wet grass was not appealing to them. Dean arrived and they were so happy to see him! The played for about 5 minutes and then went and got back in the van like they were ready to go again. We had to coax them into the house. They do not like it. It is hollow and echos. Their nails click on the floor and there are crazy shadows. If anyone goes upstairs to the loft they whine and bark. Hopefully, after the house has furniture they will be better. Right now, they just go hang out in their kennel. It is safe. Pouncy went exploring and then hid behind the blow up mattress. She stayed there for hours. After we bought a rug, the noise level dropped and the girls were able to chill out some. They still prefer their kennel. Razzle tends to run the edges of the room, where the shadows are more consistent. They can't figure out the sound of the train and the accompanying howling dogs. The back yard is too wet and muddy. The cat won't use the cat door to go outside. It is going to take some getting used to.

I am really glad to be here. Once our things get her on Saturday, I think they will all be more comfortable. I know I will be.

If you got through all of this, I am impressed. We are entering a new phase - gonna be exciting!








No comments:

Post a Comment